A summer at Breakthrough Cincinnati is a win-win
You can impact the success of middle school students while you explore your own future opportunities. Spend your summer inspiring and leading young people as a Teaching Fellow or Instructional Coach.
Each summer, Breakthrough Cincinnati hires over 70 hard-working college undergraduates and practicing teachers from all academic backgrounds to join our community. Teaching Fellows and Instructional Coaches have a deep commitment to social justice and passion for working with middle-school students.
Breakthrough Cincinnati simply “becomes a part of you” and the benefits are endless. You will:
- Cultivate the professional skills that will set you apart from the rest.
- Experience a sense of belonging that has you thinking “these are my people.”
- Be responsible for the life-changing learning that takes place in your very own classroom.
- Know you are making a difference when you see a student solve a challenging problem.
- Draw out your inner leader as you oversee special projects and make key program decisions.
- Work with a diverse team of people who care as much as you do about making a difference for youth.
Teaching Fellows and Instructional Coaches make a nine-week commitment to the program, which consists of two weeks of training, six weeks of teaching, and one week of evaluation.
Teaching Fellows will:
- Create lesson plans for one core course (i.e., math, science, history, or English) and an academic elective (e.g., foreign language, dance, art).
- Lead your own classroom.
- Learn and practice classroom management and instructional strategies and receive feedback from professional teachers.
- Work on a team to plan and lead special events.
Instructional Coaches will:
- Lead a team of Teaching Fellows in one core academic subject such as science, math, literature or history.
- Develop mentoring skills as you inspire, motivate, and support aspiring educators.
- Coordinate the implementation of curriculum and assessment for middle school-aged students.
- Provide insight and leadership to a team of developing teachers.
June 11 - August 9, Monday through Friday
Saturday, August 4
Want to Apply?
To apply for a Teaching Fellow position, you must currently be a junior or senior in high school or a college undergraduate. All Teaching Fellow positions for 2018 are filled at this time.
To apply for an Instructional Coach position, you must currently be a practicing teacher or graduate student. All Instructional Coach positions for 2018 are filled at this time.
Non-U.S. citizens are eligible to apply if they are authorized to work in the U.S.
For more information about joining the 2019 team, email Julie Witten, Executive Director, at email@example.com